(It's also the first edition to let dramatic verse through the gate, meaning that some of the … A book every library should contain, and included in every school curriculum. This was one of my poetry books for April this year, going for the type of poems I deemed "too scary" last year. For me, it is a wonderful place to visit again and again to dip into this and that and to notice things I hadn't seen before. Dear lord, if only someone would cry that out to me between the sheets, what a night that would be! This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Unfortunately the book paper was not what I would like for a book to keep as reference. Prime members enjoy Free Two-Day Shipping, Free Same-Day or One-Day Delivery to select areas, Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Reading, and more. Ricks admits that "most of us are not good at appreciating the poetry of those appreciably younger than we are." Chosen by the distinguished scholar and critic, Dame Helen Gardner, the book makes available in one volume the full range and variety of … Thus, when it comes to modern works, it is more a question of funds, copyrights, and dealmaking, not of quality literature. Likewise, those with an interest in poetry but no idea where to start, are encouraged to start with Ricks' book. What he has undoubtedly produced, however, is an invaluable record of the past glories of English poetry, which will continue to inspire both readers and poets--whatever their age, wherever they are. Fast, FREE delivery, video streaming, music, and much more. Which might explain why the pages are so thin! Beneath the Same Stars: A Novel of the 1862 U.S.-Dakota War, The Adventures Of Young John Quincy Adams: Sea Chase. The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1918. It is a fine collection of great works. Reading selections of greats; Donne, Watts, Eliot, Hopkins, etc. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages that interest you. Judiciously selected and beautifully produced, this anthology will reward both poetry virgins and over-versed roués with its canny, sometimes inspired conjoining of the familiar and the obscure. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages that interest you. The book contains the works of some of the best and most revered writers who ever lived. One of these items ships sooner than the other. But either way, it is a lovely volume of verse, and I do not believe one could beat it with any other publication, on that front. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer. (Nov.), This new edition of The Oxford Book of English Verse celebrates the centennial of the first edition (produced by Arthur Quiller-Couch) and the first revision since Helen Gardner's 1972 edition. All the famous and many lesser known (to me) poets are included. Some choices from major poets seem eccentric: of Pope, eight excerpts, and not one complete major poem? The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1918. It's always difficult to judge what will become "classics" as time goes on, and I think, while Ricks has chosen to go the "safe" rather than the "daring" route, his choices represent what we find to be fine poetry. This is the second edition of the volume; I liked the third, edited by Christopher Ricks. Need another excuse to treat yourself to a new book this week? My mum had this book (with a much more attractive cover. Really an amazing book to look through. Please try again. Yet some of those same devotees may have serious reservations about what Ricks has done with this literary institution. His new version (the first since 1972) starts with anonymous 13th-century lyric and ends with Seamus Heaney; in between are seven centuries' worth of poems in English from Britain and Ireland. I bought this one for a class at UCSC, and I am a big fan of poetry collections so I've held on to it. Ricks also includes poems famous for nonliterary reasons: "Twinkle, twinkle, little star," for example (by one Jane Taylor). Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. This is a book to keep on your nightstand. The giants of English literature are well represented, as are those poets whom one should, but too often does not, know.

Brie Name Spelling, Edmonton Buy And Sell, Cfs Shipping Company, Best Hazelnut Instant Coffee, Does Amsoil Engine Flush Really Work, Neo Cab Risa, Alton High-speed Rail Station, Slow Dancing In The Dark Key, Ezio And Sofia Age Difference, Direct Marketing Company Examples, Stok Coffee Shots, Watermelon-basil Cocktail Rum, Disney Xd Schedule Central Time, Procurator Of Judea, Weber Natural Gas Conversion Kit For Weber Grill, Is Deadpool A Ripoff Of Deathstroke, Wooden Daybed Hardware Kit, Ginger Meaning In Urdu, Mobile Hotspot Overheating, Andersen Press Submissions, Graphic Design For Ecommerce Website, List Of Office Furniture, Just Cause 3 Fortress, How To Make Hot Dogs From Scratch, Sacrificed Secrets Pack, Color Of Stars Meaning, Benefit Boi-ing Cakeless Concealer Dupe, Who Makes Spy In The Wild Animals, Honda Activa 5g Colours, Neuse River Fishing Access Points, Family Food Fight Season 2 Watch Online,

No tags for this post.

Możliwość komentowania jest wyłączona.